Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rain for the Orphans

 
"Save for the Rainy Days", I can always hear that from my mom. Rainy days are the least expected season for orphans. Due to inclement weather, few visitors arrive and donate during this season. It's a hunger season for the orphans. Orphanages are not only for infants and kids, they also accept the elderly.

Last stormy weekend, my mom and I visited her former officemate at the orphanage in Manila. Let's call her Tita DongMy mom and I used to visit her every month when we were still living in the city. But because we moved towards the east and it's a bit far, we have to schedule our visits. 


Tita Dong recently celebrated her 87th birthday this July 19. She was an orphan. She believed that she was left by her Spanish father in the orphanage since she was a little kid. It's very evident with pointed nose and skin like the mestizas. She never got married that is why she returned to her so-called "home". She's riding a wheel chair because she cannot see and walk anymore. 

Then I met a new lola or grandma. She just came last year. Her name is Elizabeth. (Grandma who never got married are called Tita or Aunt) Tita Elizabeth is 63 years old. Her pretty face and gracefulness is really alluring. I can see that she came from a wealthy family, that's why I was surprised to see her. She told me that her whole family was swindled. All of their assets turned into nothing because of a pyramiding scam and now, she and her sister have to deal living in the orphanage. 


Tita Elizabeth's love story is very interesting. She had 3 boyfriends. The first, got married to another woman. The second was hesitant. Then her last boyfriend was a doctor but died. During her relationship with the doctor, she also had a special friend, Lolo (grandpa) Ogie. Lolo Ogie is now in the US Navy. Tita Elizabeth never got married when her last boyfriend died, while Lolo Ogie got married in the US because he thought that Tita Elizabeth will never love her. 


Recently, a friend of Lolo Ogie visited the orphanage and found Tita Elizabeth again. Lolo Ogie would send text messages to her that he was never happy with his marriage. On May next year, Lolo Ogie will go back here in the Philippines. (And I'm looking forward to their love story! hihi) 


Unlike Tita Dong, Tita Elizabeth can still walk and roam around. I was told that all of the lolas who can still walk will be the ones to assists the lolas who are in wheel chair especially when there are no caregivers. 


The orphanage has a little church inside. I think it can only hold at around 100-150 visitors. 

Before my mom and I went home, we stopped by at Dunkin' Donuts for a warm break.

You know, orphans long for visitors. They feel loved and special. That is why we try our best to visit Tita Dong as often as we can

Outfit:
Donald Duck shirt
Cardigan
Scarf - 2n1 DIY
Skirt - Overrun Store in Mandaluyong
Tights
Ring - c/o Personalized Accessories

P.S. If you wish to donate to the orphanage, feel free to comment below your email address. I'll send the address and telephone number of the orphanage through private message.

xx Anne G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi!

I'm open for Questions, Suggestions, Promotions and anything under the sun, kindly leave it here and I'll answer them as soon as possible.

Thank you! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...